Wednesday, 10 April 2013

Free Backing Fabric

Now I like a bargain but I like free even more.  I found this duvet cover discarded.  It was dusty and coffee stained but 100% cotton and a nice close weave at that.  I took it in and gave it a soak in  the bath and then a good hot wash and it came up a treat.  There is one tiny hole (a fag burn?) near a corner of one side of it  I suppose it got chucked because of the coffee stain.  Having got it clean I thought it would be great to use as a muslin for a shirt or dressing gown but now I have decided I am going to use some of it to back the log-cabin quilt.


I spread the duvet cover (inside out) on the sitting room floor and got out the trusty Fiskers.  I figured that if I trimmed away the overlocked seams I would be left with two nice large pieces of fabric.


I trimmed as close the the line of overlock stitching as I could so as to make the most of the fabric.  I selected the side of the duvet cover that doesn't have the hole to back the quilt and cut it down to 48 inches by 62 inches that allows for a three inch margin around the finished quilt top.  I will use the off-cuts to play with getting the tension right for straight-line quilting on the 401G.

I then pulled out the left over wadding I was planning to use from my stash and discovered that even if I cut and joined what I had it would be about 25% less than I need.  I knew my luck would run out somewhere along the line.  Oh well shops tomorrow or the next day.


3 comments:

  1. I like how you think. I always use sheets for my backing fabric. They are only a couple dollars at the thrift stores, and I don't have to piece them together. Good job! Where do you live?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work Gavin. Economy is the name of the game.

    My brother's mother in law used to embroider pretty little flowers on her dresses around the fag burns. I was disappointed when she gave up smoking.

    Love,
    Muv

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came over into the recycle fabric thing when I got a king duvet cover that both sides were the same nice brand of home dec stripe in great condition. After laundering it evolved into decorative squares for church hall tables for a function. Total cost $1 at the thrift where I dropped off some clothing -couldn't believe all that fabric for that price. I like your vintage machines' articles. I have in the mix a 401A and a 201 and some others mixed in with the plastic computerized modern wonders.

    ReplyDelete