Tuesday 19 March 2013

The Log Cabin Quilt: Progress

Here are the log cabin blocks I have made laid out on the sitting room floor.  No design wall for me.

Log cabin crib quilt

Log Cabin Blocks

Now when I started piecing these I didn't really know what I was making.  I started the green log cabins as an experiment in paper foundation piecing.  I have now made 24 log cabin blocks. That's four blocks in six different colours.  Having done this I feel that I have made as many log cabin blocks I as would like to for the time being.  I think I am tired of sewing, fabric I can't see, through a sheet of paper.

Each of my 24 blocks will finish at seven inches square so at the moment I have a potential width of 28 inches and length 42 inches.  I think I have two options.

  1. make another 24 blocks and to create a quilt top 42 x 56 inches
  2. take what I have and use borders to bring the quilt top up to a similar size
I have decided that I am going to go with the second option.  Thinking about borders and my small fabric stash some kind of pieced 'scrappy' border is going to the answer.  I used piano keys for the border on my first ever quilt and enjoyed making them and the finished look of them.

Having looked at the scraps I have available I think I am going to use the red from the middle of the log cabins to add a narrow sashing border around the outside of the 24 log cabins.  Then I am going to use strips of the printed fabric, alternating with strips of the remaining white, to make the piano key border around that.  I am hoping that the red will frame the  log cabins and that the alternate white strips will prevent the outer border from over powering the centre blocks.  We will see.

Chain Piecing with the Singer 28K - Note the seam guide set for a scant quarter inch

Here I have started chain piecing one and a half inch strips to make the border.  This is the first time I have used this technique and I like the way it seems to save time and thread.

Pressing Chain Pieced Piano Keys - please excuse my ironing board cover.

These piano keys waiting to be snipped apart and trimmed open.

Making a decision about where this quilt top is going next has reawakened my interest and excitement in this project.  I am already thinking about what style of quilting will suit this patchwork.

6 comments:

  1. Fabulous progress, Gavin.

    Who needs a design wall? I daren't use the floor (too mucky) so I use the back of the settee. I just have to get the cushions and lazy daughter off it first.

    Love,
    Muv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Muv

      You're probably right about the floor but I promise wash the finished quilt before I post it to the intended recipient.

      Hugs
      G

      Delete
  2. Nice blocks! I think the red will look great around each block, and so will the scrappy border. So which machine do you quilt with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss

      I'm glad you like them. I have quilted a twin sized quilt on the diminutive 28K. It was my only machine at the time. Hard on my shoulders but I did it! I am thinking that straight line quilting will best suit the log cabins so I'll probably quilt on the Singer 401G which came with a walking foot.

      Hugs
      G

      Delete
  3. That will be a very handsome quilt once done. I place my quilt blocks on my floor too; so, you aren't alone in that method of work. I'll be reading through your blog since you quilt with vintage machines. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MQuilter
      Thank you for commenting - a very nice compliment. Look out for my 401G which I am planning to use to straight line quilt the log cabins with

      Hugs
      G

      Delete