Tuesday 7 May 2013

And the Singer 99K makes five!

Another new arrival at Oil and Thread.  Oops.  I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to do it.  I couldn't help it.  She was a local beauty, the price was right, I was weak.  Anyone will tell you these are excuses and not reasons and they'd probably be right but who could have resisted this little honey?  A 1935 Singer 99k, the bright work is unmarked and the black lacquer still has a deep gloss.

Singer 99k from front

The following were included with the machine
  • rigid straight stitch foot
  • adjustable hemmer foot
  • two class 66 bobbins
  • a couple of needles
  • Singer screw driver
  • correct instruction book
The key and the extension table are missing but as we all know a narrow screwdriver will open and lock the case with impunity and I can live without an extension table until fate is kind enough to send one my way.


Singer 99k hand crank from behind

The vendor told me that he had bought this machine from a sewing machine dealer, for his wife, in 1979.  I think she must have used it quite a bit because the bobbins were each wound with the statutory five different colours and there was a LOT of fluff behind the faceplate, around the hook and in the base.  I resorted to a vacuum cleaner and an old toothbrush.

With the fluff removed, oil in all of the usual places got shot of the slight squeak from under the machine bed.  The slide plate had been pulled off but was easy to replace by following the directions in the instruction leaflet.  The machine produced excellent stitches with balanced tension right from the word go.  It must have been well set up back in '79 because there was very little for me to do except get down to some sewing!

Singer 99k face plate
Not just a pretty face(plate).  The eagle eyed will notice that a binding foot has been fitted.  What can Mr G be up to?

Singer 99k bentwood case with logo transfer
The bentwood case is in more than fair condition but missing a key.  I will wax polish it someday I promise.

In closing today I am going to offer some buying advice.  This machine was offered for sale at auction at a tiny starting price.  I have seen similar on offer for ten and even twenty times what I paid for it.  My point?  Set a limit and then be patient.  There are a LOT of little black Singers out there in the world.  If you sit tight the right one will come and find you (almost).

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations! It is a beauty. I'm afraid I would have had to buy it had I been in your situation. Enjoy! My house is full of machines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that identical handcrank. Mine sews beautifully as well. The only issue is in the handcrank I think there is one little pin missing where the crank handle fits into when opened to use. I just had to sort of develop a habit of slightly pushing in when turning which isn't a big deal. My son in law and grandson when visiting recently played with stitching on this machine and thought it was the coolest thing ever. I wanted this model and a treadle in the event of power outages. The 99k is a very well made little machine. Mine was a local find as well which I loved as it wasn't bounced around like one shipped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful machine you have! I inherited my grandma's Singer 99 she bought new in 1937. It is in the original cabinet. So I no what a smooth machine they are. I think you have S.M.A.D.(sewing machine addictive disorder). Don't worry, a lot of us ave it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SMAD - yes I think so too. Blogger is a kind of support group for the afflicted right?

      ;0)
      G

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! What an awesome find, congrats! My 99K is the electric portable with the knee-controller. Love, love, love how this machine stitches - it's like buttah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss Sews-it-all

      I've often wondered about knee controllers. How do you get on with them? You're right about the buttah. Amazing how these little machines stitch.

      Hugs
      G

      Delete
  5. Excellent Gavin! That machine needed you. It is completely gorgeous, but I'm bound to say that because I have its equally beautiful big sister.

    Try it for straight line quilting - Gutermann sulky thread, hinged foot (or hinged cording foot if going in the ditch)presser foot set to maximum pressure ... you might find out why I never bother using the walking foot.

    And that's a nice spot of quilting you've been doing on the log cabin.

    Don't tell me you are going to try the binding foot for the quilt. The air will turn blue. Too much bulk.

    Love,
    Muv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Muv
      I promise not to use the binding foot on the quilt. I was trying to teach myself how to use it for another project (more to follow later in the week).

      I don't think I know what sulky is - do you have a pithy definition?

      Quilting in the ditch with a hinged cording foot - MUV! I sometime think you are a bone fide genius I really like the sound of that and will give it a go some time.

      Hugs
      G

      Delete
    2. Hello Gavin,

      Sulky is very non-grumpy German thread that comes in orange and every other colour you can think of, even these snazzy variegated combinations http://www.barnyarns.co.uk/Variegated-Shades-c-2135.html The 99K will breeze along with cotton 30.

      Love,
      Muv

      Delete
  6. Well done, Gavin, what a gorgeous machine!
    It's such a thrill, isn't it, when you come home with a new treasure. When I came home with my 127 (and at a later date the 15) I spent the entire evening looking at it.And for lack of finding a better way of expressing it: It was epic. (a borrowed quote from the Vampire Diaries)

    hugs,

    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Nice find! Great addition to your growing collection. I've often thought I "needed" a hand crank machine for my collection. The 99k is the perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was given a 99 by a dear friend of mine who had it stored in her mother's basement for 20 plus years. I named it Suzanne after her. Mine has a motor, and I absolutely love it! It just seems like a totally new experience when I sew on her, as opposed to my modern Kenmore. Mine hails from the Kilbowie plant in Scotland and was made in 1938. I can just imagine how old yours is and still she's such a beauty! The junk they make today could never compare with these vintage machines! Happy sewing and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Gavin, Snap. Mine is 3 years younger, but could be the same machine. When I got it I thought this is one machine that I would not strip down as it sounded fine and turned very well. Just a quick clean in all the wright places. Well behind the bar plate someone had injected grease into the hole behind the tension regulator. So it all had to come out. Now is all cleaned and oiled a very nice machine indeed as you know. All the best Duncan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulation on nice and beautiful machine in wonderful condition. I have been looking for a sweet hand crank machine for a while, but they are not that common here in Sweden.

    ReplyDelete