Sunday 2 June 2013

Baby Fence Rail - Pt IV

I cannot believe how quickly I am managing to piece this quilt.  

I read what I could find about blocking and decided not to get too bogged down in it in the end.  All of my squares had finished to within an eighth of an inch of the expected size.  I did trim some of the oversized squares down a bit but, in the event, I haven't agonised too much.

In this picture I have sewn the 12 units into 4 rows of three, laid them out and labelled them (A-D) so I know what order to sew them together in.


Here row A has been flipped over onto row B and pinned so that the seam lines match where they cross.


Here is the result, which I got The Much Belovéd to QA for me - it passed.


Here are all four rows after I have sewn them together.  I have already cut the fabric for the two borders.  The directions were to cut six strips of each fabric, cut two of each of those in half and to join the resulting four half-strips to the remaining four full strips.  I have already completed this so just a little more work will see this quilt top completed.  Then I will have to think about buying some  batting and how I will quilt the thing - more in the ditch work or any alternatives?


1 comment:

  1. Gavin,

    It's looking completely fab! So glad you are saving yourself all that faff with blocking.

    Love,
    Muv

    ReplyDelete