Thursday 6 June 2013

Singer Black Box

This box of tricks arrived here a few weeks ago, hot on the heels of the Singer 99K.  Up until now I haven't made time to photograph it but yesterday evening the light was quite good so I got to work.


It's full of shiny goodies.  This mass of twisted metal is the standard kit that would have been supplied with a Singer sewing machine when new.  


This particular set has three class 15 bobbins which would tend to indicate that it once belonged with a 15 machine.  I understand that the ones for Singer 66, 99 and 201 had the same kit but with class 66 bobbins.  As far as I can tell the attachments should fit any low shank machine.  Instructions on how to use all these attachments was included in the second half of the manuals that came with the machines.

15 class bobbins
large and small screwdrivers

quilting foot and guide
slotted binder foot
seam guide and fixing screw

tuck marker

narrow hemming foot
I am not yet confident that I can remove all of the contents from the box and manage to get them back in the right place so I took the attachments  out one by one to photograph and identify them.  Some I am familiar with, some I have used and like and some I am looking forward to trying out for the first time.  Who fancies my chances quilting the Baby Fence Rail Quilt on the Singer 201k with the help of this quilting foot?
adjustable hemming foot

ruffler foot

under braider



5 comments:

  1. Those are in great shape! I've never tried the old-time quilting foot on any of the old singers - if you try it definitely let us know how you like it. I have an aftermarket walking foot for my featherweight that works well as long as I'm not sticking too thick of a quilt under the foot. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find! I have a green metal one that I found empty - the feet you have are in great shape too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just replaced the sewing machine in my treadle cabinet with a 15-91, (I deeply regret having given the original to my mother in the 80s) and I'm excited to use it. I used the previous machine for all my sewing back in the 1970s when we were "back-to-the-landers." I didn't try out the attachments then, but I still have them. I'm particularly interested in testing the ruffler and tuck maker.

    Using the treadle was soothing, turning sewing into a meditation. I made some beautiful - and some truly horrendous - clothes from that machine. Thank you for this blog. It's inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Gavin,

    I've used the quilting foot before now, but found that I get better results with the hinged regular foot. There was too much rumpling going on with the quilting foot. Also, because the quilting foot is much shorter, there is a stronger chance of getting the needle pranging your fingernail. I didn't realise how close I got my index finger to the foot until I used the quilting foot. With the regular foot it's not a problem - if I just touch the edge of the foot I pull my finger back. With the quilting foot the needle is a fraction closer and bam it's too late. It's a good job I've got strong fingernails. Last time the needle bent and then came down on the foot.

    Anyway, when I bought my 201K treadle, the deal was done, price agreed, two lads ready to shift the machine down the street to the car, the lady threw in three books that came with the machine, then opened the drawer inside the cabinet and said "and there's this in here too.."

    Yes, it was the original box of tricks.

    Love,
    Muv

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just picked up a very nice 1938 99 almost mint. The box was a great problem, as to were the things went. Now is all clear. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete